Business Legacies Initiative is a research and innovation initiative exploring how to:
- address succession and transition challenges facing small business owners,
- support non-profits to explore business acquisition as a social enterprise strategy, and;
- ensure that essential goods, services and employment provided by local businesses remain in communities.
The goal of the Business Legacies initiative is to understand the challenges and opportunities for business to community business transition; develop processes, resources and training to assist; and identify initial pilots to support through the process.
Share Your Experience
Do you have experience of business or real estate transition to a non profit or community? Your experience will help increase the future success for others. Contact Emeline Le Guen to arrange an interview.
We are all adapting to a shifting landscape but opportunities for transition and acquisition will continue to emerge
- Sign up for our newsletter and stay up to date
- Sign up for future training – Fall 2021
- Apply to be one of 3 pilots – Winter 2021
- Conduct a Literature Review: Business Legacies Initiative- Literature Review
- Survey non profits and small businesses: Business Legacies Initiative Survey Summary
- Conduct interviews with experts, small business owners and non profits.
- Develop case studies to demonstrate possibilities:
- Develop tools and resources to help non profits and charities acquire businesses: Expectation Assessment Tool and Community Owned Acquisition Search Tool
- Host a workshop series.
- Contact us if interested.
- Identify pilot acquisition projects.
- Are you a non profit considering acquiring a business? Contact us today!
Access Partner Resources:
Stanford Social Innovation Review: Small Business Today, Social Enterprise Tomorrow
Social Firm Scotland: Acquiring Business 4 Good Final Report
Legacy Leadership Lab, University of Waterloo: L3 Social Acquisition Primer and L3 Social Acquisition Process Map
- Support For Small Business Toolkit
- Links to Resources for Small Businesses
- Business Loans
- Financial Calculators
Small Business BC
- Venture Connect: Support for Buying a Business
- Venture Connect: Buying & Selling a Business Workbooks
- Venture Connect: Support for Selling a Business
- BC Businesses for Sale Listings
It is advised by the communities of: